Thursday, February 14, 2013
Ash Wednesday
Yesterday I had a pretty neat conversation with Sullivan about Ash Wednesday and the marks on my forehead after receiving ashes at mass.
She is really beginning to ask lots of questions about our Catholic faith.
As I get out of the car to help get the girls from school...
Sullivan: Mommy! What is on your face! You're dirty!
Me: Sullivan, Mommy went to church while you were at school. Today is Ash Wednesday and the priest put ashes on my forehead.
Sullivan: I don't like it, you look bad. Take it off.
Me: No, not right now.
Sullivan: What is it? Can I taste it?
Me: It is ashes, like from a fireplace and no, you cannot taste it.
Sullivan: Why did you put it there?
Me: It's a symbol to remind me that I am small before God and that Lent begins now...Remember Advent to prepare for Christmas? Well, this is called Lent to prepare us for Easter.
Sullivan: Easter? What is Easter?
Me: Remember? Jesus was...
Sullivan: Oh yea! Jesus is Risen!
Me: Yes! That's right!
Sullivan: What is risen?
Me: It means that He came alive again, after He died...
Sullivan: Oh yea, like Humpty Dumpty?
Me: Well, not exactly...
These talks are getting trickier and trickier!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment